Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My Favorite Tree


It is difficult to realize how great a part of all that is cheerful and delightful in the recollections of our own life is associated with trees.  ~Wilson Flagg

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.  The next best time is now.  ~Chinese Proverb

If you would know strength and patience, welcome the company of trees.  ~Hal Borland




These are photos of my favorite tree. It's hard to miss because it stands in an empty field by the road I use many times a day on the way to and from my house.  I have photographed it often (however, the above photo was taken by Claire) and in every season.  There is just something about this tree that gets my attention every time I pass it.  I believe it is a maple tree. Its fall color is glorious.  I wonder about this tree. I wonder how old it is, how it happened to grow there, was it intentionally planted or just a seed that took root by chance, what it has seen during it's life. I'm fairly certain I wave at this tree like an old friend when I pass and I think it waves back.  

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
~Joyce Kilmer, "Trees," 1914

 

No comments:

Post a Comment