In honor of Holy Week, I thought I would take this opportunity to share how I REALLY learned about the passion, death, and ultimately the resurrection of Jesus Christ. And yes, I am proud to say it. I "got it" from listening to Jesus Christ Superstar, A Rock Opera. What an amazing experience it was to hear the gospel in a medium I could relate to! Rock music! To the best of my recollection, I was hooked after my first time. And added to my joy was the fact that the album (yes, a double album of 2 vinyl records each in their own sleeve) came with a little booklet with the lyrics!! As a young, emotional, and always seeking girl with a passion for writing poetry to express herself in ways that sometimes rhymed and sometimes didn't, I was a great admirer and appreciator of the lyrics of all the songs I loved back in the day and to this day. Imagine my excitement when I could follow along while the story of Jesus, Mary Magdelene, the disciples, Pilate, Ciaphas. the arrest, the trial, and at the end, the death of Christ came to life for me in song and then imagine my absolute thrill at the realization that this was all in Scripture!!! Wow. Talk about life changing. You see, for me it's one thing to read scripture, hear it homilized at mass, share it in Scripture study groups, etc. but put it to music, ROCK music, and I GET IT. I have to say that I believe God works in mysterious ways and in ways that speak to me where ever I am at the time and that He always provides wonderful ways for me to learn. God gave me the Rock Opera Jesus Christ Superstar to help introduce me to my faith. It was a gift I have loved for a long time. From that introduction of Christ's passion I have been able to grow in my faith in countless ways.
A little related aside to my love of Jesus Christ Superstar...In January 2008 I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Madrid, Spain with my bilingual son, Alan. While touring the city we saw a marquis for none other than...
Can you believe I have never heard this? I must get a copy of this soon. Thanks for sharing this!
ReplyDelete