Friday, May 1, 2009

Time To Leave The Nest




March 23rd to April 30th was a time of nesting, laying eggs, sitting patiently, hatching, feeding, and nurturing.  Today on May first it was time to encourage their children to take the risk and fly.  Out they went with their parents nearby cheering them on, one at a time in the pouring rain, not looking quite so sure that this was really the best idea.

When the wrens began nesting on my back porch I was curious about the process.  I learned that a male wren will scout out several nesting spots in his territory and he will mark them by leaving a stick or two in each place he finds acceptable. Next, he will find a mate and escort her to each one and she gets to choose the one she finds best suited to her needs. Then the gathering of material begins and nest building commences. 

I watched these wrens build a nest in a damaged Christmas bird feeder for quite a while on March 23rd which was my 51st birthday.  They worked for three long days, the two together, bringing in sticks and bits of moss until it was ready for the eggs.  I kept watch until I noticed eggs in the nest and then checked back every now and then for babies.  I was not disappointed.  I thought there were only 3 but today I realized there had been 5.  I watched in complete amazement on this stormy, rainy, Friday as these tiny little birds made their way out of that Santa bird feeder which they knew as home and took their very first flight.  


I truly feel that I was given a special gift to have been able to witness a tiny part of the miracle of life that, though incredibly amazing and happening all the time, usually goes unnoticed. 



 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're back to posting... post more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting you could capture those moments on camera! How precious are those sweet baby birds. *sigh* I am glad my babies don't leave the nest so quickly! Well, not today at least ;)

    ReplyDelete